Skip to main content

Deployment - the final (.Net) frontier


[Update 19th Apr 2012] - mission complete!...v2.4.0 of Wolfpack has been released and this includes a new set of plugins that can automatically download a NuGet package then execute a deployment tool (eg: DropkicK, MSBuild.exe) - it can even run NUnit tests (via the console runner).



[Original Post]
Another day, another project and deployment raises its head...

Thinking that this problem must have been cracked by now I had a look around the .Net landscape and found two interesting solutions.
  • Octopus Deploy - a .Net convention based deployment system using NuGet packages, loosely based on AppHarbour's approach.
  • DropkicK (aka DK) - another awesome initiative from Dru Sellers et al.
I like the simplicity of Octopus but also like DK's  fluent code based deployment.

Hmmm, this has got me thinking - Wolfpack could easily be adapted to be used as a deployment agent.

Wolfpack can already monitor a NuGet feed for new package releases and currently sends an alert if a new version of a package is detected; a small modification would enable it to instead pull down and install the package. The package format would be NuGet and it would use DK to do the "install" (included in the package itself, Tools folder with some convention to find the DK deployment implementation dlls).

You would create a NuGet feed per environment you need to deploy to. Each target machine would be running Wolfpack (akin to an Octopus "Tentacle") which would be configured to monitor the associated (correct environment) NuGet feed. "Deployment" would simply consist of publishing the package to the feed, from this point on it would be automated by Wolfpack, detect, download, deploy -> after which Wolfpack would publish an alert to let you know what the outcome was (success/fail) plus some stats.

Would I ever build this Wolfpack feature? I dunno, lets see...it's not a lot of code and it would give me an excuse to really play with DropkicK!

Anyone interested in a deployment mashup with Wolfpack + NuGet + DropkicK?


Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes!

This would be very interesting. Currently doing some work with Octopus, but it seems a bit .. finicky at the moment while the codebase is still stabilizing..
Unknown said…
Wow - rapid feedback!

Wolfpack is pretty stable so that's a bonus.

I'd mash in Sidewinder, my NuGet downloader/installer project to get the package from the feed (in response to Wolfpack detecting a new version) then all it would need to do is execute dk.exe...simple!

Ok, so I'll start work on this - it looks too easy to get something up and running not too!

Cheers,

James
Harry McIntyre said…
Interesting idea - keep us posted!
Unknown said…
I've got some alpha code for a new wolfpack publisher plugin that will download the nuget package (once it has detected a new version) and then attempts to execute DK, this is pretty much code complete apart from tracking the DK result.

However it's fairly untested as the test DK package I am using doesn't seem to work (no deployment found error) so haven't progressed much further.

The code is in the wolfpack contrib repository, just get the latest source. You will need to build it then configure wolfpack with the nuget release healthcheck and the new nuget deployment publisher (to download and execute DK). I haven't created the nuget package for the deployment publisher yet so install is manual for now.

Once I get a working DK package I will build the new plugin as a nuget package and create the wiki page for it.

If you want to try it out before then drop me a line and I'll help you out setting it up.

Cheers,

James
Harry McIntyre said…
Hi James, I would be interested in hearing a bit more about this deployment mechanism. My address is mcintyre321 @t gmail d.t com

Look forward to hearing from you!
Unknown said…
Well it only took 6 months to get this completed...v2.4 of Wolfpack (+ deployment contrib project) can now automate your deployments (& testing) - feedback welcome!

Popular posts from this blog

Walk-Thru: Using Wolfpack to automatically deploy and smoke test your system

First, some history... The advent of NuGet has revolutionised many many aspects of the .Net ecosystem; MyGet, Chocolatey & OctopusDeploy to name a few solutions building upon its success bring even more features to the table. I also spotted that NuGet could solve a problem I was having with my OSS System Monitoring software Wolfpack ; essentially this is a core application framework that uses plugins for extension ( Wolfpack Contrib ) but how to unify, standardise and streamline how these plugins are made available? NuGet to the rescue again - I wrapped the NuGet infrastructure (I deem NuGet to be so ubiquitous and stable that is has transcended into the software "infrastrucuture" hall of fame) with a new OSS project called Sidewinder . Sidewinder allows me to wrap all my little extension and plugins in NuGet packages and deploy them directly from the Wolfpack application - it even allows me to issue a new version of Wolfpack and have Wolfpack update itself, sweet huh

Configuration in .Net 2.0

11-Dec-2007 Update I've updated this post to fix the broken images and replaced them with inline text for the example xml and accompanying C# code. This post has been by far the most hit on this blog and along with the comments about the missing images I thought it was time to update it! Whilst recreating the examples below I zipped up the working source code and xml file and loaded this onto my Project Distributor site - please download it to get a full working custom configuration to play with! Just click on the CustomConfigExampleSource link on the right hand side, then the "Source" link to get the zip. We are in the process of converting our codebase to .Net 2.0. We've used Enterprise Library to great effect so decided that we should continue with this in the form of the Jan 2006 release which targets 2.0 and I've got the job of porting our Logging, Data Access etc wrappers to EntLib 2.0. ...And so far so good - the EntLib docs aren't bad and the migrati

Castle/Windsor schema enables Visual Studio intellisense

There has been a lot of noise recently about Inversion of Control (IoC) with .Net recently (stop sniggering at the back java guys!).... I've been using IoC via the Spring.NET framework for over 2 years now - it's a completely different approach to coding and once you get your head around it everything just falls into place and development is a real joy again. As I mention, Spring.NET is my framework of choice but a recent change in employer has seen me bump up against Castle/Windsor . First impressions are that I like it - it's not as powerful or feature rich as Spring but that's not always a bad thing! The one thing I did miss though was Visual Studio intellisense when editing the configurations - Spring has an online schema that can be associated with a Spring configuration. This got me thinking - if the VS intellisense can be hooked into that easily why not create one for Windsor configuration? So I did...you can download it from my new google code site here . Remem